[Python-ideas] The async API of the future: Reactors

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Oct 13 05:19:29 CEST 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:11:20 -0400
Trent Nelson <trent at snakebite.org> wrote:
>     However, with the recent advent of Grand Central Dispatch, it's
>     actually on par with Windows' IOCP+threadpool offerings, which is
>     pretty cool.  (And apparently there are GCD ports in the works for
>     Solaris, Linux and... Windows?!)

The port already exists for FreeBSD. As of 8.1, the kernel has
enhanced kqueue support for it, and devel/libdispatch installs the GCD
code. I'd be surprised if the other *BSD's haven't picked it up yet.

All of which makes me think that an async library based on GCD and
maybe IOCP for Windows if it's not available there would be reasonably
portable.

A standard Python library that made this as nice to use as it is from
MacRuby would be a good thing. You can find jkh (ex FreeBSD RE, now
running the OS X systems group for Apple) discussing Python and GCD here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7955630/parallel-processing-in-python-a-la-grand-central-dispatch

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.