[Python-ideas] re-implementing Twisted for fun and profit

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sat Oct 13 19:22:13 CEST 2012

On 13.10.12 18:17, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Also, I would like to remind all participants that microthreading, request/response abstraction (i.e. Deferreds, Futures), generator coroutines and a common API for network I/O are all very different tasks and do not need to be accomplished all at once.  If you try to build something that does all of this stuff, you get most of Twisted core plus half of Stackless all at once, which is a bit much for the stdlib to bite off in one chunk.
> Well understood. (And I don't even want to get microthreading into the
> mix, although others may disagree -- I see Christian Tismer has jumped
> in...) But I also think that if we design these things in isolation
> it's likely that we'll find later that the pieces don't fit, and I
> don't want that to happen either. So I think we should consider these
> separate, but loosely coordinated efforts.

I don't disagree but understand this, too.
As long as we are talking Python 3.x, the topic is good compromises,
usability and coordination. Pushing for microthreads would not be
constructive for these threads (email-threads, of course ;-) .

ciao - chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023