[Python-ideas] PEP 428 - object-oriented filesystem paths

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 14 01:48:34 CEST 2012

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> It's a useful trick for writing genuinely cross-platform code: when
> I'm writing cross-platform code on *nix, I want my paths to behave
> like posix paths in every respect *except* I want them to complain
> somehow if any of my names only differ by case.

I don't see how this problem can be solved purely by
adjusting path object behaviour. What you want is to get
a complaint whenever you try to create a file in a
directory that already contains another name that is
case-insensitively equal. That would have to be built
into the file system access functions.

--
Greg