[Python-ideas] Is there a good reason to use * for multiplication?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 15 07:02:20 CEST 2012

Ram Rachum writes:
 > On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Blake Hyde <syrion at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Is anything gained from this addition?
 >

 > To give a practical answer, I could say that for newbies it's one small
 > confusion that could removed from the language.

Get Microsoft to agree and implement it in Excel and you might have a
point.  But as long as Excel uses * for multiplication, I don't think
anybody who uses computers is going to have trouble learning this.

Anyway, Python believes in TOOWTDI ("the one old way to do it").[1]

Footnotes:
[1]  With apologies to Tim Peters.