[Python-ideas] yield from multiple iterables (was Re: The async API of the future: yield-from)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Oct 15 12:38:21 CEST 2012

On 15.10.12 11:29, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Christian Tismer
> <tismer at stackless.com <mailto:tismer at stackless.com>> wrote:
>
>     Question: Is it already given that something like greenlets is out
>     of consideration? I did not find a final say on that (but I'm bad at
>     searching...)
>

> I think an number of people have expressed a distaste for implicit
> task switching. That doesn't mean "no", but I'm guessing what's going
> to happen is having some kind of explicit, generator based thing, with
> an underlying API that makes implementing greenlets pretty easy.
>
>     Is the whole discussion about what would be best, or just
>     "you can choose any implementation provided it's generators" ? :-)

Thanks for your reply.

Just one thing that I don't get.
What do you mean by 'implicit taskswitching' ?
There is no such thing in greenlet, if you really meant that
Library from Armin Rigo.

greenlets do everything explicitly, no pre-emption at all.

So, is there a general understanding what a greenlet is and what not?
Just to make sure that the discussed terms are clearly defined.

cheers - Chris

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023