[Python-ideas] Interest in seeing sh.py in the stdlib

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Oct 22 08:58:17 CEST 2012

On 22.10.2012 04:40, Andrew Moffat wrote:
> I would be interested in relicensing and donating.  I am able to reach out
> to the contributors, and I am pretty positive I could reach out and get the
> signing off from them.  I would be more than willing to maintain the
> package as well...I'm in it for the long haul, it seems to resonated well
> with the community throughout its development.
>
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org>wrote:
>
>> Am 21.10.2012 02:33, schrieb Andrew Moffat:
>>> I'm interested in making sh.py more accessible to help bring Python
>>> forward in the area of shell scripting, so I'm interested in seeing if
>>> sh would be suitable for the standard library.  Is there any other
>>> interest in something like this?
>>
>> I like to ignore the technical issues for now and concentrate on the
>> legal and organizational problems.
>>
>> In order to get sh.py into Python's stdlib you have to relicense and
>> donate the code under the PSF license. You and every contributor must
>> agree on the relicensing. At least you must submit a signed contributor
>> agreement, maybe every contributor. Are you able to get hold of everybody?

Small correction:

The contributors would have to sign a contributor agreement
with the PSF to enable the PSF to distribute the code under
the PSF license:

http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/

This usually is much easier to have than a copyright sign-over,
since it's only a special license and the copyright remains with
the authors.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 22 2012)
2012-09-27: Released eGenix PyRun 1.1.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go35
2012-09-26: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.0.1 ...     http://egenix.com/go34
2012-09-25: Released mxODBC 3.2.1 ...             http://egenix.com/go33
2012-10-23: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                      tomorrow

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/