[Python-ideas] list of reserved identifiers in program?

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:22:30 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

Would it be a good idea to have a built-in list of strings containing
the reserved identifiers of python such as 'assert', 'import', etc?

The reason I think this would be useful is that whenever I write a
class with user defined methods I always have to exclude the reserved
keywords. So for instance myinstance.mymethod( ) is okay but
myinstance.assert( ) is not. In these cases I use the convention
myinstance._assert( ), etc. In order to test for these cases I hard
code the keywords in a list and test from there. I take the list of
keywords from http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#keywords
But what if these change in the future?

So if I would have a built-in list containing all the keywords of the
given interpreter version in question my life would be that much
easier.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Daniel