[Python-ideas] docs.python.org

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:44:26 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-27, at 1:15 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the ecosystem is to the point where it makes sense to
> flip the switch just yet, but I do think it would be reasonable to
> define the ecosystem state where we *will* flip the switch. The two
> key missing pieces for me are:
> - a Django release with non-experimental Python 3 support (i.e. likely
> to happen with Django 1.6)
> - an official release of PIL (or Pillow) that supports Python 3

One last thought (no need to reply if you disagree).

What if it's all "chicken or the egg" problem?  Maybe the right strategy
is not to hide python 2 from everywhere and start actively promoting
py3k, but to push it gradually?

Start with docs switching to py3k by default.  That shouldn't be harmful
(and I hope that my docs theme patch will be accepted soon).

A bit later, when Django finally adds python 3 support - change python.org
homepage with a more prominent advice to use py3d.

Etc.

Thanks,
Yury