[Python-ideas] non-blocking buffered I/O

Richard Oudkerk shibturn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 01:01:23 CET 2012

On 29/10/2012 11:29pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I wonder if this could be done by varying the transports by platform?
> Not too many people are going to write new transports -- there just
> aren't that many options. And those that do might be doing something
> platform-specific anyway. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a
> transport abstraction that lets protocol implementations work
> regardless of whether it's a UNIX style transport or a Windows style
> transport. UNIX systems with IOCP support could use those too.

Yes, having separate implementations of the transport layer should work.

But I think it would be cleaner to put all the platform specific stuff
in the pollster, and make the pollster poll-for-completion rather than
poll-for-readiness.  (Is this the "proactor pattern"?)  That seems to be
the direction libevent has moved in.

--
Richard