[Python-ideas] Add "htmlcharrefreplace" error handler

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jun 14 11:22:45 CEST 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:06:55 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On 14/06/13 18:49, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > "Keeping the HTML source ASCII-only" is just silly IMO,
>
> Surely no sillier than "keep the Python std lib source ASCII-only".

Or than drawing stupid analogies. Do you understand the difference
between source code and hypertext documents?

> > and it doesn't
> > warrant special support in Python's codec error handlers.
>
> We're talking about this as if it were a major change. Doesn't this count as a trivial addition? The only question in my mind is, "Are the HTML char ref rules different enough from the XML rules that Python should provide both?"

It's not trivial, it's additional C code in an important part of the
language (unicode and codecs).

And I haven't seen you propose a patch (when was your last patch, by
the way?).

Regards

Antoine.