[Python-ideas] Add "htmlcharrefreplace" error handler

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Fri Jun 14 12:37:44 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-14 12:07 CEST, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:37:28 +0200
> Stefan Drees <stefan at drees.name> wrote:
>>> We're talking about this as if it were a major change. Doesn't
>>> this count as a trivial addition? The only question in my mind is, "Are the
>>> HTML char ref rules different enough from the XML rules that Python
>>> should provide both?"
>>>
>>> It's not trivial, it's additional C code in an important part of the
>>> language (unicode and codecs).
>>>
>>> And I haven't seen you propose a patch <ignored level="suggested"/>.
>>
>> could we try to refrain from some b.t.w.'s \? (using trigraph-safe
>> question mark encoding, in case some tool has trigraphs still turned on
>> :-?)
>
> We could, but in this case, this was pretty much warranted. Steven
> suggested that a change was "trivial", so it's only fair to wonder on
> which grounds he can cast such a judgement (e.g. what his authority is).

me, with the sun shining outside and the summer finally arriving (again)
I suggest, that for such a purpose (I won't judge on it!) and in my
opinion and experience the first part "And I haven't seen you propose a
patch" would have been fully sufficient, wouldn't it?

Additional bad feelings possibly rooted in former experiences, behaviors
and inside different areas might also be better handled in a short
friendly private mail exchange, I guess.

> python-ideas may sometimes feel like a nice soapbox, but the end goal
> is still to have code (or docs, PEPs, etc.) to check in. People will
> naturally be judged, though mostly tacitly, on their contribution
> track record (or absence thereof).

Well, this is not python-dev, right :-?)

Now for something completely different and coming back to an
anti-relevance claim, the one that challenged the use case of
     "even automates constructing HTML need to resort to ASCII"
I think I gave a nice anecdotal counter example[1] out of the wild,
where the producer has not sufficient control over the final nodes of
the publication chain.