[Python-ideas] PEP 315: do-while

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 15:34:46 CEST 2013

On 27 June 2013 14:26,  <jimjhb at aol.com> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I'm not doubting what you are saying, but I am informing the python
> community of the reality out there.  Say what you will, but Python's
> lack of gotos (if they are bad, then one can just avoid them, right?) is a
> form of social engineering on Python's part as well.  I think that's
> a good decision, but one can see how social engineering of programmers can
> go awry as well.  (MISRA-C 2012 now allows for limited gotos, so times
> change.)
>
> If I take the viewpoint of the no break/continue folks, they have a point.
> They can often be avoided, and throwing them in (a lot) is often a sign of
> sloppy code.  Breaks (especially) are very easy to avoid with the C for,
> because the conditional is explicit and can easily be expanded.  So for C,
> educating folks with these rules don't really have much net effect.
>
> The PROBLEM is that you can't do that with a Python for.  So all this rule
> indoctrination is much more consequential (to the code).
>
> If can argue that adding a conditional SHOULDN'T be necessary, but that
> might not reflect our current practical reality.

As the rest of us have said, this is irrelevant.

These people you know are not the norm and no-one is going to budge
for them. That's it; and no matter how much you reiterate this is not
going to convince even those people who like your suggestion (of which
I am not one). Please, just let this point rest.