[Python-ideas] Macros for Python

Haoyi Li haoyi.sg at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:04:33 CEST 2013

Just an update for people who are interested,

The project (https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy) is more or less done for
now, in its current state as a proof of concept/demo. Almost all of it runs
perfectly on both CPython and PyPy, except for the pattern matcher which
has some bugs on PyPy we haven't ironed out yet. Jython doesn't work at
all: it seems to handle a number of things about the ast module pretty
differently from either PyPy or CPython.

We've got a pretty impressive list of feature demos:

   - Quasiquotes <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#quasiquotes>, a quick
   way to manipulate fragments of a program
   - String Interpolation<https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#string-interpolation>,
   a common feature in many languages
   - Pyxl <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#pyxl-integration>,
   integrating XML markup into a Python program
   - Tracing <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#tracing> and Smart
Asserts<https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#smart-asserts>
   - Case Classes <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#case-classes>,
easy Algebraic
   Data Types <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_data_type> from Scala
   - Pattern Matching
<https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#pattern-matching> from
   the Functional Programming world
   - LINQ to SQL <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#linq-to-sql> from C#
   - Quick Lambdas <https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#quick-lambdas> from
   Scala and Groovy,
   - Parser Combinators<https://github.com/lihaoyi/macropy#parser-combinators>,
   inspired by Scala's<http://www.suryasuravarapu.com/2011/04/scala-parser-combinators-win.html>
   .

And have pushed a release to PyPI (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/MacroPy),
to make it easier for people to download it and mess around. Hopefully
somebody will find this useful in messing around with the Python language!

Thanks!
-Haoyi