[Python-ideas] Quick idea: defining variables from functions that take the variable name

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 2 18:10:31 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 03:35:59PM +0200, Sven R. Kunze wrote:

> The name is simply not enough. You might think so and that's your right
> to do. However, it's just not that simple and it does not reflect a good
> technical solution.

A good technical solution to *what*? That's the point I am making. The
name alone is a perfect technical solution to the problem Guido raised
in the first place.

> As a consequence this is relevant to the
> "only-the-name-please" thread. Before accusing somebody of "hijack[ing
> a] thread", I'd appreciate if you think why somebody contributed
> something first. Furthermore, your tone seems disrespectful to me.

I am sorry, my post was not intended to be disrespectful. But I stand by
it: if you wish to solve some other problem, then start a new thread.

In particular, you need to state what problem you are trying to solve.
It is not enough to just say "this isn't enough".

--
Steve