[Python-ideas] Smoothing transition to Python 3

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 7 07:34:40 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 12:42:44PM +0200, Thomas Güttler wrote:

> I am not married with Python. Up to now I see no alternative for me,
> but I guess sooner or later I will switch to a different
> language.
>
> I see only few benefits from porting my code to Python3. I will
> use Python2 at least for the next 12 months.

That's your right, of course. Some people love to experiment with new
languages, some don't. But...

What will this other language be, and what does it offer that makes it
better than Python 3?

When you move to Language X, will you re-write your code to X, or leave
it in Python 2 forever?

If the answer is "re-write in X", do you think that will be easier than
porting it to Python 3?

If the answer is "leave it in Python 2 forever", then why can't you do
that for your existing code and write new code in Python 3?

--
Steve