[Python-ideas] Smoothing transition to Python 3

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jun 7 11:26:08 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:42 AM, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
> wrote:

> Am 04.06.2016 um 10:27 schrieb Neil Schemenauer:
> > I can't understand why people don't see
> > we have a problem.
>
> Imagine you are father of a three years old boy. Some stranger
> tells you: "your kid is ugly!"

Just in case you didn't realize this can be turned around too, that's
exactly how it feels to *me* when people complain about Python 3.

> How does the average man react? Some get sad, some get angry.
>
> Only very few would ask: Why do you think my kid is ugly?
>
> I am not married with Python. Up to now I see no alternative for me,
> but I guess sooner or later I will switch to a different
> language.
>
> I see only few benefits from porting my code to Python3. I will
> use Python2 at least for the next 12 months.

That sounds like a threat (or another underhanded insult), but it's really
up to you. You have until 2020, and in fact after that date Python 2 won't
suddenly implode -- but none of the Python core devs who currently still
keep 2.7 alive will help you maintain it.

Of course it's open source so you are free to fork it any time. Just give
your fork a distinctive name so potential users aren't confused about what
they'll be getting and where they'd have to go for support.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)