[Python-ideas] Make Python front end to the C math module

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 13:04:47 EDT 2016

On 19 June 2016 at 16:02, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> For the avoidance of doubt, there is NO requirement for pure-Python
> implementations of the existing math functions, or even future ones.
> Future functions can go straight into the C implementation is desired.
> This is to allow future functions the opportunity to be written in
> Python.

Is there any reason to do this in advance of an actual requirement for
it? It seems to me that doing this when someone proposes a
Python-coded math function would be fine. Or do you think that the
fact that math is coded in C is stopping people even suggesting
additions, because they believe they'd need to be able to write them
in C?

Paul