[Python-ideas] Preemptive multitasking and asyncio

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Jan 25 02:37:18 EST 2018

Am 24.01.2018 um 17:59 schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 05:46:29PM +0100, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>> I found a question and answer at Stackoverflow[1] which says
>> that asyncio/await is like cooperative multitasking.
>>
>> My whish is to have preemptive multitasking: The interpreter
>> does the yielding.
>
> Isn't that what threading and multiprocessing do?

Hmmm, yes, you are right.

I guess I have not understood something up to now.
If async/await is the answer. What was the question?
AFAIK it can help to solve the c10k problem.

If I don't have the c10k problem, then what is the benefit of async/await?

If it is only about IO, there are python bindings for libraries like libuv.

I guess this whole topic is too ...(I am missing the right term here)... for
average developers like me.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--