[python-ldap] Why is setuptools installed if setuptools is installed?

Peter Bengtsson mail at peterbe.com
Wed Apr 17 18:54:01 CEST 2013

Looking at line 76, this baffles me
http://python-ldap.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/python-ldap/python-ldap/setup.py?revision=1.71&view=markup

It basically says::

    if has_setuptools:
        kwargs = dict(
        include_package_data = True,
        install_requires = ['setuptools'],  # <-- this is line 76
        zip_safe = False
        )

I suspect this causes setuptools to be re-installed if you do things like this::

    $ pip install -I python-ldap

In fact, I know it breaks our script we use for building a tarball since we use `pip install -I requirements/compiled.txt` and afterwards it breaks our virtualenv with that common error of `pkg_resources` failing on ImportErrors. Note: for us this only happens on a RedHat server. I can't ever reproduce it locally on my OSX.

Nevertheless, it does not make sense to depend on setuptools only if setuptools already is installed.

Peter

--
Peter Bengtsson
home www.peterbe.com