C++ / Java / Python (was Status of C++)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 07:25:38 EST 2000

Just to pick up a small point...

> >What I am concerned with is that C++ would be relegated to
> the COBOL level, with lot of maintenance, migration to do
> but with very little new development.

This is plain wrong.
There are lots of new COBOL projects around and a recent
Gartner(?) survey showed that the majority of the new code
being written worldwide is still in COBOL - something
like 25% was the figure I saw. (Remember that every
single COBOL project produces a LOT of code!)

India is the second biggest software producer in the
world and an awful lot of the stuff done there is sub
contracted COBOL... BTW They can do pretty mean C++ too
if that's what you need but they go with the market,
there's very little language snobbery there :-)

Alan G.