Python 1.6 and Python 3000's new features?

Alessandro Bottoni Alessandro.Bottoni at think3.com
Wed Mar 8 04:43:02 EST 2000

I just read the "Frankly Speaking" column at O'Reilly's site (
http://www.oreilly.com/frank/ ), and I was quite chocked by two of the news:

[Python 3000] The contents of this version are still under discussion, but
will almost certainly be backward-incompatible.
[Python 1.6] In addition, Guido will include some existing bug fixes and
probably Fredrik Lundh's new regular expressions engine

Why Python 3000 should be backward-incompatible? Is it possible to have a
"big-picture" of this major version?

Why new regular expressions? What was wrong with the "old" re module?

(I'm NOT criticizing anybody. I'm just curious...)

Thanks

Alessandro Bottoni
(Alessandro.Bottoni at Think3.com)
(alessandro.bottoni at libero.it)