extending python: c++ problem

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Thu Mar 30 12:14:26 EST 2000

Torsten H”rmann <torsten.hoermann at telekom.de> wrote:
> Does anyone know about the following problem and have a solution?
> I've written a python extension using c++. No Problems with msvc, but on
> HPUX with aCC. When importing the <iostream.h>, the python interpreter can
> not find the "initmod" function in the created lib. Error message:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initmod)

name mangling problems?

using "nm" to figure out what happens to you "initmod" function
might give you some clues...  (maybe iostream.h

the README and Misc/HPUX-Notes contain additional information
on building shared libraries under HPUX:

README:

    HP-UX: Please read the file Misc/HPUX-NOTES for shared libraries.
    When using threading, you may have to add -D_REENTRANT to the
    OPT variable in the top-level Makefile; reported by Pat Knight
    this seems to make a difference (at least for HP-UX 10.20)
    even though config.h defines it.

Misc/HPUX-NOTES:

    There are two important points.  First, the python executable must be
    linked with the -E option to explicitly export all symbols.  This
    works with the vanilla interpreter, but I am not sure how friendly it
    will be when I try to embed the interpreter in a larger application.
    It may be necessary to hand tune the exports using the -e option.
    Anyway, the additional flag to $(CC) is "-Wl,-E", which passes the -E
    flag to the compiler.  My link line (from an actual run) looks like
    this:

        cc config.o -Wl,-E libModules.a  ../Python/libPython.a
        ../Objects/libObjects.a ../Parser/libParser.a   -lm  -ldld
        -o python

    [Guido's note: as of Python 1.5, replace the four libraries with
    ../libpython$(VERSION).a]

    Second, the dynamic module must be compiled with the +z option to make
    it position independent and then linked into a shared library:

        ld -b -o <modName>module.sl <object list>

    The -b tells the linker to produce a shared library.

hope this helps!

</F>