Need Help Re:PATH

Snoopy :-)) genius at idirect.com
Fri Mar 17 13:38:21 EST 2000

I am trying to learn Python as my first  Programming language and I am
also a Novice in Linux.(RH_6.1).  Using the book "Learning Python"  I am
stuck for several days in  the 1st. Chapter regarding the
PATH & PYTHONPATH.  I just don't know what am I doing wrong.

For the purpuse of Practice In my home directory I created a directory
called"Pydir" where I wan to keep the "Module & Script " Files.  I want
to use the "Bash-Shell".  So In my (Home) "bash_profile " I did the
following configuration:
PATH=$PATH:/HOME/bin:/usr/bin/python:.:/home/charly/Pydir
PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:.:/home/charly/Pydir:/usr/lib/python1.5:/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk

The problem is, that as long as I am in the Current (Pydir) I can run
"python" and "import" the Module.
also at the "Shell-Promt" run the Script files (executable) located in
the "Pydir.
    However  If I start "python" in my Home-dir or try to run  the
shell-script files nothing works, and I get the error messages.

According to my understanding ( In the Book) that when the PATH &
PYTHONPATH are configured in the "bash_profile" file, then I can call
the Module files or  run the Script files form the Shell-promt even
though I am in another dirrectory.

I would really appreciate some clearification and help.
Best Regards;
Charles Takacs