Numpy and native Blas

Stan Pawlukiewicz stanp at mitre.org
Wed Mar 1 08:46:22 EST 2000

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> Stan Pawlukiewicz <stanp at mitre.org> writes:
>
> >    Has anyone built a recent version of Numpy (15 or 15.1) on top of a
> > native Blas, in particular, the atlas blas routines under Linux?
>
> I did, on various Unix machines in the past, although I haven't tried
> with the atlas package yet.
>
> In general, there are two problems you can run into:
>
> 1) There are different conventions for mapping names from Fortran to C.
>    The BLAS/LAPACK interface in NumPy supports two of them (identical
>    names or appended underscores), but there might be more. Changing
>    this is simple, just scan through the interface code and replace
>    the symbol names.
>
> 2) The Fortran code might rely on external support libraries. Under Linux,
>    this shouldn't be more than libf2c, so adding -lf2c should be sufficient.
> --

Thanks for the tips,  issue 1) was something I was aware of, and 2)
would have dawned on me eventually, so your advice was helpfull.  The
area that I am having problems with is the distutils configuration.  It
doesn't seem like something one can do without reading the manual, but
most things are like that anyway.