python startup time

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sun Mar 19 20:57:24 EST 2000

Quinn Dunkan asks:

> Why does the python take so long to start up?  Is it because it loads so many
> modules?  And if that is the case, why is module loading slow?

Partly.

There are 2 big factors. First is getpath.c, which attempts to
ascertain as completely as possible what the proper sys.path
is on your machine, and defends itself against sys admin-ish
tricks, developers running from strange places, damaged
OSes and other factors. It does a lot of hunting and pecking in
the process. If you're willing to live with some simple rules,
you can cut much of that out.

Imports can also be a problem. For each entry in sys.path,
Python will first try for c extensions, then pure Python
modules (which takes checking the .py against the .pyc /
.pyo). On both my NT box and my Linux box, I've put the
standard lib in a .pyz (an archive of compressed .pyc's) which
is much, much faster. This is all straight out of the installer
stuff on my starship pages (using Greg Stein's imputil module).

- Gordon