Is it Python or is it C ?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Mar 8 10:11:52 EST 2000

Don,

Once it exists in the interpreter as bytecode, isn't it
*all* running as compiled C?  In which case, doesn't
that transform the question to 'which preferred pydioms
yield the best performing bytecode?'? <*1>

There's been a number of speed related code optimization
threads that I've seen.  IIRC, most came to the conclusion
that coding done in the easiest most natural way performed
best when scaled against readability (i.e., significant further
speed gains came only at the expense of perl-style coding ;-).

Anyway, I'd also love to see a compilation of optimized coding
preferences along the lines of 'use x over y because z'.

Although-it's-fast-enough-for-my-needs-ly y'rs,

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com
*1 <Would you English majors out there tell me if I really
need two '?'s at the end there?>