huge file -> memory problem

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Mar 22 16:18:38 EST 2000

Jørn Eilertsen <jorn at spekter.no> writes:
> Thanks for taking the time, but what you describe is basically what I've done,
> but it still seems to swallow the whole file into memory.

Simple line-reading loops do not show memory leaks, as far as I know.
Are you *quite* sure your code isn't leaking memory or building a
large dictionary or some such thing?  Try commenting out everything
inside the line-reading loop except the actual line-reading logic, and see
if the process size still increases.

A family meeting, eh, Destiny? You haven't redecorated in the last 300 years,
I see. Oh well. And *still* wearing basic grey...
    -- Desire, in SANDMAN: "Season of Mists", episode 0