Build questions

Jonathan Giddy jon at dgs.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 3 22:01:17 EST 2000

Patrick McGuigan declared:

>I am trying to get my school to install python on a DEC-ALPHA system
>running Tru64 UNIX version 4.0D. I can get the interpreter to build but
>I still have some questions. Unfortunately, this is the first time
>working in Unix and I'm sure that I will ask some stupid questions but
>here goes:
>
>1) I want to enable the modules thread and threading. I tried to build
>by first issuing the call >configure --without-gcc --with-dec-threads
>when I run make I get several warnings about overwriting a definition
>associated with _POSIX_THREAD. Is this normal or is there more work to
>be done? ( The interpreter builds and executing make test does not
>complain about testing thread.

It is OK to ignore these warnings.  They are there because of the
comment in one of the definitions.

>2) Given that the above works do I need to do more about enabling the
>compiler and linker flags specified in the README file? If so, where do
>I set the options and for which files?

Setting --with-dec-threads is all you need to do to get a threaded Python.
I've never done anything about those further compiler switches shown.

>3) To enable Tkinter on the system, exactly how do I find the answers
>for the items that need to be editted/enabled in Modules/Setup?

You need to have Tcl and Tk installed.  You can try finding it by running
'which wish'.  This may indicate whether Tk is installed and where it is.
The standard location is /usr/local/[bin,lib,include], but it can be
anywhere.  Otherwise, you can install it yourself.

On Tru64, the X paths should be:
/usr/include/X11, and
/usr/lib/X11

>4) If I want to enable the above modules is this the correct sequence
>for a build?
>
>	a) configure --without-gcc --with-dec-threads
>	b) make
>	c) edit Modules/Setup
>	d) make clean
>	e) make