Build questions

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Mar 4 11:57:31 EST 2000

Jonathan Giddy wrote:

> Patrick McGuigan declared:
>
> >4) If I want to enable the above modules is this the correct sequence
> >for a build?
> >
> >       a) configure --without-gcc --with-dec-threads
> >       b) make
> >       c) edit Modules/Setup
> >       d) make clean
> >       e) make
> >       f) make test
> >
> Looks good to me.

Note that you can also create a Setup.local.  Python will first read
Setup and then read Setup.local.  The values in Setup.local will
override thos from Setup.

The advantage is that when Python-1.6 is released later this year,
you should be able to copy your Setup.local file to the new version's
Modules subdirectory and compile Python with the same options.  (It's
not that difficult to diff Setup Setup.in, but why give yourself more
trouble.  Setup.local also makes it simple to see what you enabled.)

---Tom