Python performance

Nick Trout nick at spam_me_notvideosystem.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 09:45:49 EST 2000

> > That's not true. Most of the software renderer was written in assembler.
>
> hmm.  that's not how I recall things.  got any pointers?

See post after (it contains .asm files)! The source for Quake was floating round
the internet for a while...  :-)

> > Michael Abrash write a book called "The Zen of Graphics Programming" which
> > details getting the most out of an x86 processor when you're rendering.
> Where
> > else would he get the experience to do this since he worked on Doom and
> Quake?!
>
> working for microsoft on windows NT? (yes, I'm serious)

Wow. What was he working on? What a transition! Cutting edge rendering speed
to... Microsoft.

> the book you mention was first published in 1994.  quake
> arrived in 1996.

Mmm I thought it contained articles on Quake optimisation. I only flicked
through it, and it was a while ago!