A comp.lang.python code snippet archive?

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Wed Mar 1 15:39:41 EST 2000

On 1 Mar 00, at 20:35, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Hans Nowak wrote:
>
> > Maybe some kind of "Python code detector" could be helpful, if only for
> > a first rough scan of all the messages. I have no idea how to do this
> > though. (In Perl it's easy, you simply check if the number of $'s is
> > above average... <wink>)  Maybe it should look for reserved words like
> > def or import? But a snippet is not guaranteed to include those words,
> > and a message which does use them is not guaranteed to have Python code.
> > =/
> >
> > Ideas, anyone?
>
> Yes: why not have a pysnippets at something.something, which you can CC
> on any message, and have it automatically appear in a snippets page? I
> know I wouldn't mind adding the CC: for snippets I post.

I like the idea, but I see a few problems... For starters, I like to test
snippets if I can... which is not possible if they are placed on the site
automagically. Also, if cc'ing a message causes it to appear on a site,
this might attract some jokers who cc nonsense messages... there are also
clumsy email programs (like mine ;-) which, in certain configurations, add
such a Cc: automatically and silently when you post a message.

I guess it all comes down to it... at the moment I have control over what
appears on the site or not, and where it will appear; automatic uploading
will change this.

What I really need is a bit more support from the community... my site is
by no means "official", and I don't want to promote it aggressively, so I'm
not so surprised that it's not that well-known; yet I do be a bit
disappointed that I never got snippet submissions from any of the big
cheeses, or others who most likely have a very large collection of useful
code. (If anyone wants to flame me for this, be sure to include a snippet
with your message. <wink>)  ...On the other hand, they do post a lot of
code to the newsgroup, which indirectly will end up at the site anyway.

I will keep the site alive for a while, then I will re-evaluate. In the
meantime I will upload some more code... I will also make sure to tell the
world about it. :-)  On a side note, maintaining the site has become
somewhat easier with a little script I wrote yesterday (in Python of
course).

Veel liefs,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.