Python advocacy

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Mar 7 17:12:08 EST 2000

Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <38C411A1.B552C42 at prescod.net>,
> Paul Prescod  <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
>                         .
>                 [Maybe Java can be
>                 used for everything;
>                 in any case, Tcl is
>                 crap]

Well, Java will never take off with "scripters" so whether it could be
used for scripting or not is irrelevant because it won't be. It also
isn't appropriate as a CP4E language.

> Paul and I could happily go off in a corner and split hairs
> for--well, for a long time.  I disagree with several claims
> about Tcl, Java, ...; those who truly care about the details
> are welcome, as usual, to ask.

You know a lot more about Tcl than I do. I would like to know what you
would prescribe as a problem that would be better suited to Tcl than to
Python. I am much more interested in problems that would take over 100
lines of Python code than in tiny ones, BTW. I am similarly curious
about non-trivial problems that lend themselves naturally to VB (the
language, not the development environment) and Perl.

Out of timber so crooked as that which man is made nothing entirely
straight can be built. - Immanuel Kant