how to catch signals

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Wed Mar 8 22:50:09 EST 2000

In article <38C6FE5D.E8AEB04E at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz>,
Greg Ewing  <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>Quinn Dunkan wrote:
>>
>> the [SIGCHLD] handler doesn't always get called,
>
>You can't rely on getting one SIGCHLD for every child that dies.
>If another child dies before you've finished responding to the
>SIGCHLD for the first one, you won't get another signal.

Depends on the OS.  Delivering another SIGCHLD if you return from the
signal handler while there are still zombie children is, I have heard,
the practice of some of the dark followers of the Svid.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!