JPython vs. Javascript?

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Wed Mar 29 00:38:26 EST 2000

[Kojo Idrissa, on Tue, 28 Mar 2000]
:: Sorry, I guess I did leave the forms part out.  That's essentially what I want to do
:: (although the form may be longer and more complicated).  The reason I didn't mention
:: CGI is that there may be a problem with me implementing it at my location (our tech
:: support folks are not big on CGI from what I've heard, but that's a whole 'nother
:: story).  I may be able to do CGI, but if not, Javascript seemed like the next most
:: likely alternative, as I could simply embed it into the HTML form.
::
:: My primary question was motivated by a desire to avoid learning a second language
:: (Javascript) and get more mileage out of the one I'm learning (Python) by using it to
:: indirectly create Java applets (also form embeddable).  My concern was that a Java
:: applet may not be the best tool for the job.  That's what I was trying to find out.  I
:: just didn't do a very good job of asking the question I guess...
::
:: Now, with that added info, what do you think?

I think you're going to find CGI unavoidable, in any case. You
mentioned previously that you want to implement surveys and online
tests and have the responses sent to you for analysis. Unless you
intend to do something kludgy like ask people to email their responses
to you, no matter what technology you bring to bear on the client
side, you'll still need to "pierce the veil" through the Common
Gateway Interface in order to save those responses on your server's hard
drive.

If I were you, I'd begin by arming myself with knowledge about how to
write secure CGI programs. Numerous articles on that subject are
available on the Web. That will help you to overcome your tech support
folks' (justifiable) concerns. And best of all, you can then write
your code in the optimal language, among the ones you've mentioned --
Python. :)