Tkinter: OptionMenu question

Peter Funk pf at artcom-gmbh.de
Thu Mar 9 06:57:44 EST 2000

Hi!

>  |Randall Hopper:
>  |> How do you set the font?
>  |>
>  |> This:
>  |>
>  |>     menu = apply( OptionMenu, ( parent, var ) + tuple( option_names ),
>  |>                   { 'font':PANEL_FONT } )
>  |>
>  |> generates:
>  |>
>  |>     TypeError: unexpected keyword argument: font
> Peter Funk:
>  |Since 'Tkinter' itself contains no class 'OptionMenu', I guess you
>  |are using the fine Pmw package by Greg McFarlane.
>

> Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  Actually I was using Tkinter.  Tkinter does
> have an OptionMenu class written in Python code that is instantiable (see
> Tkinter.py::OptionMenu).

Yes.  Indeed.  I should have better checked before posting.  :-(

However this "poor mans" OptionMenu class only provides a very raw
wrapper around the MenuButton class.  As far as I can see from the
source in Tkinter.py the only way to set the font is to access
the menu component afterwards and use
	menu['menu'].configure(font=....)
to change the font.

You should consider getting your hands on the Pmw.

Regards from Germany, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)