lambda

Joey Gibson joeyGibson at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 29 13:51:18 EST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:19:04 GMT, morbid at doesnotlikespam.inet.net.nz
(Morbid Curiosity) wrote:

||| Lambda functions come from a functional programming paradigm, but I've
||| found a couple of situations where they're really handy in a general
||| imperative program, too. Have a look at this code snippet:

	It took me a while to 'get' lambdas at first too. They are most useful
(IMO) when paired with map(), filter() and reject(). These functions take a
function as the first argument. Using a lambda allows you to declare the
function inline as opposed to declaring the function earlier.

	For example, this is applying a function to a list without lambdas:

aList = ['fred', 'ted', 'tom', 'bob', 'foo']

def myfunc(x):
	return x * 2

res = map(myfunc, aList)

	And here it is with lambdas:

aList = ['fred', 'ted', 'tom', 'bob', 'foo']

res = map(lambda x: x * 2, aList)

	I think you can also use them as defaults arguments to functions that
need a function as a parameter.

Joey

--
-- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java2 Platform
-- Pocket Smalltalk Tutorial: www.mindspring.com/~joeygibson/st/pstIntro