Who needs exceptions (was Re: Two languages, too similar, competing in the same space.)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Dec 30 09:32:50 EST 2001

Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:
> My sentiments exactly:  C is excellent as the equivalent of a modern
> assembly language.

Back when I was doing M-6800 (6800, not 68000) machine code, I used to
write my stuff in a stylized subset of C, then hand-compile it.

As long as you stayed away from complex expressions, assignment side
effects, and some of the fancier flow control constructs, there was an
almost one to one mapping between C statements and blocks of assembler
code, so the compilation stage was easy.  But, what it let me do is write
the structure of the program without having to worry about details like
adding two integers by doing a series of byte-wise loads, adds, and carries.