Need help with regular expression

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Sat Dec 8 11:43:06 EST 2001

> The above RE works just fine except that I can't have the ending
> sequence in the string.  I want to be able to "escape" the ending
> sequence with either double quotes (">>") or single quotes ('>>').
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to do this, though.  Can anyone give me
> any ideas?

people the world over bang their heads against this one the first (and
hundredth) time through.  Go to a bookstore and find "Master Regular
Expressions".  Most everything he says works in python even though he uses perl
for most of the examples.  There is a specific item about this in there if I
recall.