Unsung Python modules

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Dec 14 13:50:12 EST 2001

    Tim>  1) readline (optional built-in)
    Tim>  2) xreadlines

    Tim> Two similarly named but unrelated modules have made my whole life
    Tim> much easier.  =)

I agree on the readline module (don't have a lot of need to text file
processing that sys.stdin.readlines() won't handle).  It seems like I've
travelled back to the dark ages whenever I have to use Python without
readline or a "real" Bourne shell.  Being able to recall a line or two from
an interactive session from a few minutes before (or a few days before)
makes day-to-day interaction with these tools so much easier.  Readline gets
slammed for being a bloated pig, but it is a highly useful bloated

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)