Python threading (was: Re: global interpreter lock not working as it should)

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Aug 5 17:19:00 EDT 2002

[Jonathan Hogg]
> Aha, now that's interesting. So do you think it would be safe to use a
> regular mutex now?

Which kind of "regular mutex" (there are so many flavors now)?  Under whose
pthreads implementation?  Etc.  There aren't easy answers here.  Note that
current CVS Python uses POSIX semphores instead (when they're available),
which raises a whole 'nother set of issues.

> I was considering trying it, but I wasn't sure if there was a Very Good
> Reason not to.

AFAICT, you're all still trying to figure out whether there's "a problem"
here to *be* solved <wink>.