What is marketing?

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Mon Sep 8 22:16:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 03:11:52PM -0400, Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:
> |> The neutral word that Alex is looking for is 'promotion', which has a
> |> subtle but important difference from the dirty word.
>
> Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote previously:
> |Nope -- it's "marketing" as defined in textbooks of economics
>
> Ahh... that begs the question[*].
> [*] Has anyone else noticed how horribly misused this phrase has
> become...
Amen! Everyone please read this good explanation and then stop using
the phrase.
http://gncurtis.home.texas.net/begquest.html

Apparently people have noticed becuase googling for
'begs the question definition' turns up a lot of rants.

> IOW, I'm more interested in what Thorstein
> Veblen would say than in what Ludwig von Mises would say :-).
Hmm,

  Veblen was an idiot and Mises was rational.

Err, thats not it,

  Veblen thought everyone was an idiot and Mises thought everyone
  was rational.

I always get that mixed up.

-jackdied