[joke] Any tool to translate PHP to Python?

Bruce Dickey brucedickey at micron.com
Mon Sep 29 13:31:42 EDT 2003

"Will Stuyvesant" <hwlgw at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cb035744.0309281309.267f4d5c at posting.google.com...
> > [Bruce Dickey]
> > > [Bruno Desthuilliers]

PC.

> > > Er... What about a programmer ?-)
> > >
> > > (sorry, could not resist)
> > > Bruno
> > >

> > Heh heh. Point taken. I actually *was* assuming I would be the tool --
> > It seems to me that for folks migrating from PHP to Python, a translator
> > would be a handy tool.
>
> Um, was the point was really taken?  Translating programming languages
> is *very* hard.  Otherwise, it would be possible to just translate
> Python to C, with all the obvious benefits.
>
> Perhaps automatic translation of some standard PHP patterns is
> possible?  No, still too hard.  Think about it.
>
> --
> The subspace _W inherits the other 8 properties of _V. And there
> aren't even any property taxes.
>                 -- J. MacKay, Mathematics 134b

Yes, it was really taken. I know its hard, but not impossible. Source
translators exist for a number of languages, such as Basic to Pascal, Pascal
to C, C to Pascal, VB to Python, Java to C++....
Some are only partial, but that provides a good start.

That people have created compilers for that pathological language C++ shows
what can be done with determination. PHP is a (much) simpler language.

I have no plans to write a PHP to Python translator, however. I have only a
few small scripts to convert.

Bruce