Another Python rookie trying to port to C/C++ question.

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Thu Sep 25 19:22:37 EDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Don Bruder wrote:

> [...] As such, the details *MUST* get clear if I'm to create equivalent
> functionality. If only because I need to read data that was written
> (presumably...) by a Python program. Hence, it becomes neccesary to get
> down "in the muck" and actually know what's going on behind the nice,
> tidy "dict.whosit.get()" (or whatever other operators might be involved)
> interface that Python provides.

is this data in 'pickle' format (as opposed to text, XML, or some specific
binary format)? if it is, reading it in C/C++ is going to be very hard
indeed; you might consider writing a small python program to read it and
convert it to something more tractable. if it isn't, you don't need to
'get down in the muck'; you just need to write a C program to do the job
that needs to be done.

if pickling is entirely new to you, then your data probably isn't pickled,
so you don't need to worry about it.

> > Off topic (or not): A single person can start a discussion but not
> > limit it, I think that's a feature of newsgroups rather than an
> > annoyance.
>
> Perhaps, and perhaps not. Guess it depends on your perspective. Having a
> stream of insult and invective dumped into your mailbox because you've
> made it plain that you don't consider somebody's "pet" language the
> be-all and end-all of computer programming is hardly what I'd call a
> "feature"...

i'm sorry that happened; i hope you won't think badly of python and
pythoneers because of one moron. discreetly let the relevant people know
who he is and we'll fetch the Comfy Chair ... 8)

tom

--
Things fall apart - it's scientific