Python for large projects

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Mar 23 11:19:57 EST 2004

In article <7xad28313c.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
			.
>I keep hearing this, but I don't see any large (much less very large)
>applications that have been done in Python; Zope is medium sized.
>
>Suppose you wanted to write any of the following:
>
>1) Optimizing C/C++ compiler, like GCC
>2) Full featured web browser, like MSIE or Mozilla
>3) Full featured office suite, like MS Office or Open Office or KDE
>4) Avionics for the space shuttle
>5) Internals of a large telephone/data switch
>6) Tax processing software for the IRS
>7) Operating system kernel (Linux: the next generation)
>8) Accounting software for a big bank
>9) Full featured database like Oracle or Postgres
>10) ... well you get the idea.
>
>Which, if any, would you write in Python?  By "write in Python" I mean
			.
			.
			.
I'd DEFINITELY feel comfortable with 1).  Do you think of
GCC as "big", in that sense?  I don't; maybe there's some-
thing I'm missing, even though I've maintained other
compilers on and off for a couple of decades.

For 5) I'm infatuated with Erlang, of course.

I'd probably change careers rather than work with 2) or 3).

9)'s another area where I have deep experience, and, no, I
can't get my thoughts past C or assembler there.  That
might be personal habituation.

Anyway, who *has* "gone big"?  Easy answers:  Industrial
Light & Magic, Rackspace, Walt Disney Feature Animation,
... and, arguably one of the ten biggest "applications" on
the planet:  Google!
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net