Help on Tkinter installation

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Fri Mar 19 00:28:15 EST 2004

John Slimick <slimick at venango.upb.pitt.edu> writes:

> Prior to this I installed ActiveTCL8.4 .
>
> So I made what I thought were the appropriate
> changes to the "tkinter" section of Setup, I went up
> a level (to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/Python-2.3.2),
> did a "make" and this is what I got:
>
>    file libtk8.4.so does not exist
>
> Well, when I do a locate, I find libtk8.4.so
> in
>
>    /usr/local/ActionTcl/lib/libtk8.4.so
>
> So I am caught with some kind of path problem.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

Your tk library is installed in a very non-standard location.  Python
can't find it.

I suggest you install tcl and tk from the RH rpms, here's tk, you can
search for tcl:

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=tk&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=

Then put setup back the way it was and try again.

If you are going to use ActiveState products, then install the whole
package including their version of Python.  If you do that, then
direct further questions to them.

--
KBK