GUI Frameworks in Python?

Peter Maas fpetermaas at netscape.net
Wed Mar 31 04:20:26 EST 2004

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Whenever I make even the smallest wxPython program, it takes multiple
> seconds before the window is visible. Last time I tried was on a Pentium
> 4-M 2.2 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. Not a slow machine, and other software
> runs just fine.
>
> It's really annoying, and nothing I do seems to improve the situation.

Did you try a preload? You can start an invisible task that keeps
the wxpython stuff in memory. You could even start this task as a
Win32 service so that it is loaded prior to any login.

BTW, the load time is not only due to GUI libs. Python itself does
also have a share. Just tried that with a command line script and
my rough estimate is that approx. 50% of the wxpython load delay
is due to Python itself (at least on my machine: Win 2000, 800MHz,
256 MByte).

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Peter Maas

Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail peter.maas at mplusr.de