Combinatorics of dual-language use (was: Choosing Perl/Python for my particular niche)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Mar 27 14:21:01 EST 2004

In article <c44ine$ad6$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>,
Tassilo v. Parseval <tassilo.parseval at post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
			.
>When it comes to embedding C/C++ into Perl, SWIG is the last thing that
>I'd recommend. It may be capable of transforming such a library into a
>Perl module on its own with no user intervention. However, C/C++ doesn't
>map particularly well onto Perl from an interface point-of-view: A 1:1
>translation of a C++ API doesn't look particularly good.
>
>Those things should be done manually. How much work this is depends on
>the library. Some only require a few lines of XS. XS' learning curve is
>admittedly a bit steep. Not because it is difficult in itself but rather
>because the documentation leaves a few things to be desired. There are
>some actions on completing perlxstut.pod on its way right now, though.
>
>There is also Inline::CPP, although I don't think it is as mature as
>Inline::C. And since you have mentioned Tcl, even that can be inlined
>with the help of Inline::Tcl.
			.
			.
			.
As I think about it more, maybe Inline::C (or Tcl's
Critcl, for that matter) *is* something that would
suit the original poster roughly as well as Pyrex.

Incidentally, I've heard that Inline::Tcl might be
an area of renewed interest; it has an inverse in
tclperl.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net