Python for large projects

Paul Rubin http
Mon Mar 22 19:30:15 EST 2004

Heather Coppersmith <me at privacy.net> writes:
> What advantages *do* C and Java have for such large projects?  How
> many bug-free, meets-the-full-spec, on-time, under-budget examples
> of applications written in those languages do we have?

It was a real question, not a rhetorical one, and your answers are
reasonable.

We may not have C or Java examples of those apps that are on-time and
under budget, but at least we have examples now that are deployed and
that work, even if they were delivered late and over budget.  We don't
have ANY examples for programs like that in Python, whether delivered
on time or not.  On the other hand, we haven't been writing stuff like
that in Python for as long.

I'd like to think that a suitable implementation of Python, or
something pretty closely resembling Python as we know it, could do
pretty much anything Common Lisp can do, and CL has been used for some
very big apps.  However, the current Python implementations seem aimed
at smaller projects.