Advice needed: large OpenGL + Widgets Project for Molecular Graphics

Rick Muller rick_muller at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 11:11:46 EST 2004

"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.27.1079431794.742.python-list at python.org>...
> For balls and sticks this is a pretty trivial task.  4th year comp-sci
> students are made to do this (well, a lot more) for creating ray-trace
> renderers in their computer graphics courses.  However, being able to
> load everything into the hardware buffers of a video card is pretty hard
> to beat as a performance path.

Sorry, I didn't explain my own sarcasm. Writing the code isn't the
problem, it's generating an interface that looks nice and performs
well that is why I think this is only worthy of humorous mention.
Although the JMol project (http://jmol.sf.net) has done a surprisingly
good job with this type of graphics.

> >Thanks in advance for any help or sympathy that people can offer.
> >

> Hmm, sympathy?  You get to work on graphics and you want sympathy?  Some
> of us would *kill* to have the time to work on graphics ;) .

Thanks for putting this in perspective!