3D apps in Python?

Chris Herborth chrish at cryptocard.com
Tue Mar 23 10:59:02 EST 2004

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I am looking for open source 3D applications written primarily in Python.
> Not Python scripted, but rather, Python as the primary means of development,
> dropping to C++ or C only when necessary for efficiency.  Any pointers
> appreciated.  Surveys of leading open source 3D engines, such as Nebula and
> Crystal Space, haven't yielded anything.  I'm now starting to look at
> non-game applications.

A couple of years ago I started writing a simple tile-based game engine
(think overhead-view like Ultima V... actually, I was using the sprites from
Ultima V as textures :-) entirely in Python.

It was running at an acceptable speed even on lousy hardware (8MB ATI Rage
Mobility-P in my old Pentium II 233MHz laptop).

I know several commercial games, such as Freedom Force, use Python for
scripting, but I'm pretty sure the main engine is entirely C/C++.

Chris Herborth                                     chrish at cryptocard.com
Documentation Overlord, CRYPTOCard Corp.      http://www.cryptocard.com/
Never send a monster to do the work of an evil scientist.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.